Located in Gordon County of Northwest Georgia, Calhoun Seventh-Day Adventist church has a long and eventful history in Calhoun and the surrounding community.
New Food Bank
In the fall of 2015 the Calhoun Seventh-day Adventist Church proudly announced the beginning of construction of our new food bank. The church, has offered a food bank to the community for many years, but has outgrown the area allotted for storage. Over the last 10 years over a quarter of a million have been fed!
October 29, 2015
1411 Rome Road SW Calhoun
September 08th, 2014
HWY-53 Across from fairgrounds
Our Current location
The congregation of 650 members, with three worship services, brought about the need for a larger church. May 10, 1998, ground was broken on the site of the former Brown farm on Highway 53. The existing church was sold to North Georgia National Bank and the property adjacent to the church sold to Ryan’s Family Steakhouse. The church met in the Belmont Baptist Church while the new facility was being built. The 32,000 square feet building seats 500 and includes a chapel, audio-visual console, nursery, library, offices, classrooms, food pantry, kitchen and fellowship room.
The grand opening for the new church building at 1411 Rome Road was May 8, 1999.
Church Growth = Need for more room
December 27, 1975 was a thrilling day as the first service was held in the new church. The old church was sold to the Episcopalians for $46,000.00. The new church was built for a cost of $350,000.00 and the monthly payments were $3,500.00. At the church service on November 6, 1982, it was announced that the church mortgage was paid off and the church was dedicated on December 11, 1982.
Darrel Starkey presented the Development Committee’s recommendation to the church in a business meeting on November 27, 1995, to sell the church and relocate. It was voted to sell, move and develop a new church location.
December 27, 1975
HWY 53 Location
January 31, 1947
We built our first building
At a church board meeting on January 31, 1947, it was voted to borrow $1,000 from the conference office and build a church out of cement block and plaster. Lincoln and Roy Silvers were in charge of construction. The building was constructed on South 41. The church cost $8,000 to build and the monthly payments were $40.00. In 1949 a surprise dedication service was held when Mr. Starkey of Starkey Printing in Chattanooga sent $700 to make the final payment on the debt.
Four acres of land were purchased in 1972 in a special arrangement between Dr. Joe Bishop and the Conference Association on Hwy. 53 as a future site for a new church. By 1974 it was necessary to conduct two worship services to hold the membership.
On January 25, 1975, Mr. Arthur Brown, Building Committee Chairman, presented the basic floor plan and exterior sketch of a proposed building. Ground breaking for the new construction was held on April 17, 1975.
Our Church Roots in Calhoun
The Calhoun Seventh-day Adventist Church was organized September 30, 1939, in the home of B.F. Tucker on the Hurlbutt Farm, which is the present site of Georgia-Cumberland Academy . There were seventeen charter members. Meetings were held in the Boy Scout Hall in Calhoun and Hurlbutt Farm Chapel.
January 11, 1945, the Calhoun Church was reorganized at Scott Sanitarium at Reeves Station. Elder William Grother held tent meetings in Calhoun in 1946 and a little group of believers began to worship in town. Two of that early group are still in Calhoun; Dr. Dennis Steele and Estelle Roberts.
September 30, 1939